Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Power of Words.

One night while I was on Tumblr, I stumbled across on a two part GIF that was on the 1000 absolute best posts. The top part of the GIF showed what appeared to be a blind homeless man with a sign "I'm blind, please help." The second portion showed the sign now altered to say "It's a beautiful day and I can't see it." The user that had blogged the post provided a link to YouTube to the entire short film. Usually I don't look further into Tumblr posts, but curiosity got the best of me. The helplessness and vulnerability of the old man just really got to me and a part of me wanted to know if he was alright [Even though I was almost positive that this was a film and thus he was an actor.] I was led to a video with more than 10 million views entitled "The Power of Words." The clip is only 1 minute and 48 seconds long but by the end of it I was crying! I don't want to ruin the video for everyone so I will link it HERE-I PROMISE YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

In my opinion, this video is a prime example of pathos. The entire clip pulled on my sympathies and brought forth my emotions. Through pathos, the makers of the film were able to further convince me on their claim of how important words are and how influential they can be. In a way, I was able to feel this old man's pain and suffering imaginatively.

Another interesting fact about this video is the fact that it is a remake. The original short film was made in Spanish and has less views on YouTube. The original and remake have only slight differences, but I think that these differences are what make the remake more popular. The remake illustrates a stronger contrast in between the homeless blind man and the powerful business character.

All in all, I think everyone should watch this in that it really shows how powerful words can be and how the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" should be rethought.

No comments:

Post a Comment